Thursday, March 5, 2009

Conservatism v. Liberalism in America

In response to the following comment:
"Could it not be said that perhaps part of the problem (while albeit not denying the lies, extortion, and other political garbage tactics) is that we really live in what should be considered as it is, a republic. If you doubt my logic, check the Pledge of Allegiance (if you don't know it because you've not been allowed it, Google it). The basic "Democratic" principles are broken by the fact that acting so as a republic, the people's power is more a facade designed to make us feel as though we are electing "our" president, when really we are just creating someone to blame."
I would first of all say that this country, as laid out in the constitution, is a Democratic Republic. It's a representative form of government. The people of this country elect the representatives and have chances quite often to change who the office holder is. People are not elected for life. However, this still means that the citizens of this country must be informed and also have a proper understanding of their role in the process.
It is the lack of caring of each citizen which elects those to office who don't have any business being there. The representatives are DIRECT representations of those who elect them. This is why you see congress people from California who are extremely liberal. It's a representation of the culture they are in; and if I may be so bold to say it: apathy leads to liberalism.
On the surface, liberalism presents itself as a sunny, warm place where everyone is getting what they "need" in life from the government. For people making quick glances at an issue, liberalism seems nice. But it is in true conservatism that the answers which are best for this country are found. True conservatism, however, is not an easy thing to come by in today's political climate. It takes effort. It takes someone willing to sacrifice a bit here and there for the better of the country. It takes understanding. It takes removing your faith in the government and finding another place to put it. (religion)
I will grant that all of this is an outlook that many aren't comfortable with. That is where a site like this comes in. A conversation to have; understanding to grow. Let's take politics off of the back burner and move it into a daily conversation. If we could all place it with a bit more importance into our daily lives, I can almost guarantee this country would change for the better.

2 comments:

  1. It is with a grain of salt, more often than not, that I have to believe that I am directly represented, regardless of my choice in candidates. Do I honestly believe that Obama and his promise of "Hope" is a reality. Less so than should be desirable. Did I believe that McCain had anything to bring to the table for me? Not really. My representatives in DC at House and Senate? No. And I'll tell you why. I fear that as much as I am out of touch with the up-to-the-moment political pandering, they are out of touch with my life and needs, as well as the wants and needs of those like me. Let's see their pay-stubs and portfolios. We'll put them side-by-side (holy hyphen night!) with the average Americans'. Of note, so you don't feel like I'm stabbing in the dark, Herb Kohl (WI) ranks at the estimated #1 spot with an estimated net worth of $269.098,030 to $284,549,005 (sited most currently in 2006, sadly). Hmmm. House members had a median net worth of $385,000. Senators had a median net worth of $1.1 million. Now, how can someone making 10 times my salary (give or take) really know how an average person's life is affected by their actions. The median income for the entire state of WI per HOUSEHOLD is only $50578. Find me someone whom I can elect that lives like my neighbors, that can be taken seriously enough for our concerns to be heard, then I'll be appeased. Am I being too anti-elitist? Who knows, I'm feeling slightly jaded at the moment. Do I feel as though anyone, Liberal or Conservative, represents me? In a word, no. I guess what I'm getting at is this. I would be more than happy to take politics off of my back burner as soon as representatives are more willing to move their constituents to the front burners. And while I would like to believe that I have voice to change such things, time has proven thus far that even the cries of many can't stop bridges to nowhere or Everglades restorations from containing the misplaced intentions of self-serving representation.

    Signed,
    The Devil's Advocate

    Post Script - Thanks for quoting me. Glad I can have more purpose than just flapping my keyboard pointlessly. If it causes thought and conversation, whether I'm right, wrong, or completely off-base, I certainly feel as though I am at least represented here.

    - DA

    ReplyDelete
  2. While it is true that many of our representatives in this country are rich, lets not forget that many of them came from poor upbringings. I'm not trying to excuse the actions of the people in Congress, only trying to say that as a country, we must work for change from the bottom up. A few sparks may not seem like much, but it will soon consume a whole forest. If the people of this country don't like the representatives they have, change them. Campaign, get involved, do something. With awareness comes responsibility and duty. We must do something. Rise up from the bottom; be the sparks that set up true change in the government. It can and must happen. Take hold of the responsibility and run with it.

    Kelby Lovelady

    ReplyDelete