Monday, March 16, 2009

HR 1388 - The GIVE Act

HR 1388 - the Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act.

What is it really? Well, first off, it is a bill, which if passed through the house and senate would become law. Remember the word law here. This act is meant to force volunteerism (a complete oxymoron, by the way) on Americans, starting when they are in elementary school, through college, and all throughout life - forced volunteerism on every level. A grand total of time spent by every American doing "volunteer" work would be around 3 years of their life.

I don't know how you feel, but I do not want the government telling me what to do with 3 years of my life. I don't want the government deciding what my life is like at all. I pay my taxes (something that many of those in government apparently fail to do), I follow the law, and I am involved in the political conversation of this country. That used to be more than enough. Now, they want more. 

The 13th amendment of the United States Constitution, which of course is supposed to guide the governments decisions, states that "neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for crime... shall exist within the United States." (emphasis mine) And yet, here we are, with a bill in the House of Representatives that would accomplish just that.

I really don't know exactly how to express how wrong this is. I can understand, at least, when this administration puts forth huge spending bills as a way to fix the economy. I strongly disagree, but I at least understand the theories behind it. But this bill, I don't understand at all.  How can this country, the greatest on Earth, the land of the free, home of liberty, come to this point where this is even being considered.

This bill, will of course, come with strings attached. They won't call it a forced volunteerism. That doesn't sound good to people's ears. They will say that there are tax breaks for volunteerism. They will say they are "promoting" a volunteer spirit in America. All of this is just political doublespeak. I urge you to read the text of the bill here and understand what is happening. And, as always, be involved in the discussion for the future of this country; be an informed citizen.

Post Script: Here is and example of what's buried in this bill, just to spark your interest more [emphasis mine]. 

From the Misc. section, #6104: (6) Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.

1 comment:

  1. Kelby! I'm kind of at a loss here. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect when I jumped on your blogspot. This wasn't exactly the first thing I thought I would find here. But this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete