Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Faith Our Country Was Built On - Not Worship of the State

I will start of by saying that this is a sensitive subject. Perhaps if you would like a longer discourse from me on the subject, you can email me at kelbylovelady@gmail.com and I will try to go into a bit more depth than I do here. But, as with any subject of serious significance, it is always going to be argued and fought over. So anyway, here is the video clip of President Obama in Turkey.
((Video Here))
In this video, Obama treads into water that I feared him going into, and does so on an international stage. He calls us a "secular nation" and also a "nation of citizens". In other words, a nation which doesn't have it's guidance in God or faith; doesn't have it's morals coming from a firm foundation, but instead uses a moral system that changes with the times and situations (moral relativism); a nation of people who have to look somewhere for guidance and will lean on their government, not themselves, their faith, and the freedoms and liberties granted to them.
It may not seem like a big statement that Obama made, but every person has to put there faith in something. I have learned this is always true, and with some deep self-searching, it can be figured out to be true by anyone who is honest with themselves. Where that faith is put determines a lot about the person. If a person puts their faith into God and religion, they have moral absolutes, right and wrong, black and white, a reason and purpose for their thoughts and actions; if a person puts their faith into government or self or any other man made group/thing, you then end up in inevitable moral relativism, loss of sanctity for human life, and a de-valuing of human experience.
So, what did the founders of this country think of religion in the citizenry? Here's John Adams, the second President of the United States:
"The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were. . . . the general principles of Christianity. . . . I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God; and that those principles of liberty are as unalterable as human nature."
How about Benjamin Franklin, one often pointed out as the 'un-Christian' founding father of this country. What did he have to say?:
"I believe in one God, the Creator of the universe; that he governs it by his Providence; that be ought to be worshipped; that the. most acceptable service we can render to him is doing good to his other children; that the soul of man is immortal, and will be treated with justice in another life respecting its conduct in this. These I take to be the fundamental points of all sound religion, and I regard them as you do, in whatever sect I meet with them. As to Jesus of Nazareth, my opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think his system of morals and his religion, as be left them to us, the best the world ever saw, or is like to see; but I apprehend it has received various corrupting changes, and I have, with most of the present Dissenters in England, some doubts as to his divinity; though it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it."
How about one more? Thomas Jefferson, perhaps:
"I, too, have made a wee-little book from the same materials, which I call the Philosophy of Jesus; it is a paradigm of his doctrines, made by cutting the texts out of the book, and arranging them on the pages of a blank book, in a certain order of time or subject. A more beautiful or precious morsel of ethics I have never seen; it is a document in proof that I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus."
I don't mean to force any thoughts or religion on anyone. I only mean to demonstrate hear that this country was founded on religion. This country was founded on faith and belief and moral absolutes and working towards a higher purpose. This country was not founded on moral relativism, worship of self and of state, worship of material things, or any other.
Mr. Obama, you have worked hard in your overseas trips to make friends with the nations of the world, and for that I applaude you. But, please be careful in how you speak. Do not take away from our heritage as a country founded on the principles of religion. We do not worship government, or hold to government, but hold strongly to freedom, to liberty, and to faith given to us from above.
As the Declaration of Independence states (added emphasis mine):
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

2 comments:

  1. You guys gave us George W. Bush so no one is listening to you. It is fun to see you crash and burn. I hope you talk louder and protest more! You don't realize how funny you are. Meanwhile the rest of us will live in the 21st century, not the 18th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, George W. Bush was elected by the people of this country as a whole, the same way Clinton was elected, and the same way Obama was elected. Speaking for myself, I don't believe Bush was the best President we had, however, what he did for this country is not all bad. The media loved to go after him for anything he did, and very much took any shot they could. But, if I could, ask you this question: since 9/11, has there been another attack on US soil? No, there has not. Thank you, G.W. Bush for that. So, please, keep listening to me talk and try to understand where I'm coming from. You just might learn something new.
    By the way, faith is not something that dies out over time. And the constitution has nothing to do with being in the 18th century or 21st century, but is only a document that says how this government is to be run. That's it. How that can lose prevelance with time I don't know. Could you please explain that?

    ReplyDelete