Wednesday, April 1, 2009

In Response to Comment on "A President Crossing the Line"

First of all, I would like to thank you, whoever you are, for sharing your thoughts and putting yourself forward. That is what we as Americans need to do; discuss the situations at hand openly and freely as the founders, as the founders desired. I would like to respond to what you said, and, as always, feel free to continue this conversation too, either here or with me personally at kelbylovelady@gmail.com.
First off, I don't want to try to put myself forward as a great thinker, someone who feels they are above the rest; someone on a 'high horse'. I am not at all. I am an average person, making average wages, living in an average small town. I'm sorry if my comments seem very forward and blunt, but I feel very strongly about what I am doing here. I am not trying at all to put down the American people for the choices they make. Do I feel they made the wrong choice in the last election? Yes. There is nothing different in me saying that now and the last eight years of everyone (including the so-called impartial media) ripping into Bush at turn of the shoulder. Part of the Democratic process of this country is people who are willing to stand up and oppose the ideas that are put forward because they whole-heartedly feel they are wrong for this country. I don't want to see wrong happen to this country in the same way that I'm sure no one wants to see wrong happen to there families, or even themselves. I'm just doing my part to defend the freedoms we all take for granted every day and continue the tradition of open debate.
So, to answer the question of "what I am doing here" directly, I am holding strong in my views, putting them forward for all to see because of my freedoms accounted to me by the Constitution and my Creator, and being prepared to defend myself and my ideas when need be. This is open conversation; freedom and liberty at its best. I'm not asking for everyone to agree with me, but to be willing to talk about it.
Now, on to the second part. I, as a Christian, in no way have meant to use God in a sarcastic statement, and have never meant to insult anyone. "God help America" was not meant with any sarcastic tone behind it, though I understand how it may read that way. We, as Americans, really do need God's help if we are to pull this country back towards what it can be at it's best. Furthermore, I believe that Christian love can be shown through caring about what is happening in this country, and working to help this country succeed. God doesn't only work in love, but also in convictions and trials. Please don't get me wrong, the love of God and the mercy shown every day by Him is amazing in itself, but Jesus didn't show his love of man by showering everyone with "worldly love". He often times rebuked the people, even those closest to him, in order that they may grow in understanding and maturity. I do not believe that what I am doing here is in any way compromising my Christian faith. In many ways, I think it is expanding it; right now is a perfect example. Yes, our sinful natures are the driving force behind what is happening in this country, but that doesn't mean we can't fight against it. The apostle Paul told us to put our sins behind us every day; he wants us to fight.
As far as what we can do in our daily lives goes, I understand how it can be hard to see in my writings. In national politics, we are only able to do so much as individuals, but I believe that our greatest responsibility is to be aware of what is happening; to be informed citizens who understand what is going on in our country and ready to react when able. When we are aware, and holding discussions with people we know; when this country is engaged in what is happening; when people understand politics in much more than a "vote every four years and not care any other time" way; that is when this country is at its best. My call to every citizen is to be informed and concerned. I'm not saying that we all need to be involved in politics everyday, all the time. Being informed is just a matter of knowing what is going on in this country and being willing to form an opinion on it.
Lastly, I would like to take the time to thank you, the readers of my writings, for taking part of your day to read what I have to say, and for showing that you care about this country enough to listen to discussion about what is going on. Thank you all and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment